Most of the acne home remedy strategies discussed in this article are simple, cost free steps that you can do at home starting today. Whether you are dealing with back acne, teenage acne or you are a woman at any stage of life dealing with acne brought on by hormonal fluctuations; these acne treatment strategies are for you.
In addition to the straightforward ‘do it yourself’ acne treatment strategies below, the treatment of severe acne will ideally involve an external and internal acne treatment plan. The first essential element is a daily topical skin cleansing/moisturizing routine with products designed for helping acne prone skin. (Strategy # 10)
The second element involves consultation with a qualified health professional to have all the possible causes and contributing factors assessed so that an individualized internal acne healing protocol can be designed. (Strategy # 12)
Prevent and Heal Acne
… 12 DIY Natural Strategies for Teens and Adults to Effectively Treat Acne
1. Drink 2-3 litres of water per day
- This helps flush toxins from your body and it helps to transport nutrients throughout your system.
2. Get plenty of sleep each night
- Stress and/or lack of regular restful sleep can increase hormone and adrenaline levels, which can lead to increased sebum production, and more clogged pores. Sleep helps stabilize chemical imbalances, recharges the immune system, and plays a role in maintaining correct blood sugar levels.
3. Become aware of any connection between eating certain foods or food types, with an outbreak of acne
- While there are too few reliable studies connecting diet to acne, many people find that certain foods do cause increased instances of acne outbreaks. This may be due to food allergies or sensitivities in the individual.
4. Become aware of any connection between acne breakouts and the use of particular cosmetics or other face products
- Some people have allergies to petro-chemicals and other synthetic chemicals in soaps and creams that could contribute to acne flare-ups. For example, parabens, phthalates, and BPA are petro-chemicals that are used extensively in personal care products. They have the effect of unbalancing the hormones and that can be a contributing factor to acne breakouts.
5. During an acne breakout, wear long hair back, or up, off the face
- The oils present in hair can exacerbate acne.
6. Even though there are, few conclusive studies proving how and why diet affects the occurence of acne, it is apparent that following some simple dietary adjustments does make a significant difference in prevention and healing.
- For example: avoid pizza pockets, white breads etc
- Example: anything deep-fried
Eat LOADS of fresh vegetables and fruit, and as great a variety as possible
- This is to avoid eating from animals, which have been subjected to steroid and growth hormone injections to increase their sell weight at market. People suffering from acne already have a hormonal imbalance, which they should not exacerbate by ingesting more hormones.
Olive oil, camelina oil, flax oil, hemp oil
- Dark green leafy vegetables and yellow/orange vegetables and fruit are particularly good. Such as, squash, yams, sweet potatoes, carrots, mangoes, nectarines, peaches, apricots. These vegetables and fruits are especially high in beta-carotene, which our bodies convert into Vitamin A, which in turn is beneficial for acne treatment.
- These are the best to eat instead of the aforementioned hydrogenated oils. Use them to make your own salad dressings, in mashed potatoes, on toast, on sandwiches, on pasta, drizzled on steamed veggies, to make marinades for grilled meats, pestos, sauces, gravies, add a bit to smoothies, the list goes on, use your imagination and don’t be afraid to experiment
It is always my highest recommendation to eat fresh, nutrient rich whole foods however, if you feel on any given day that you have not been able to eat enough healthy, nutritious foods, then, be sure to have high quality supplements on hand to support your bodies nutrient needs.
- Also of note is that daily supplementation of Essential Fatty Acids is considered very helpful for acne breakouts. Camelina, hemp, flax and fish oil are excellent sources of omega 3 essential fatty acids.
- For example, the ProVitXcell from SomaLife is ideal, since it is a high value three in one bundle, which provides the multivitamin/mineral, the antioxidants and the omega 3 essential fatty acids for one special price. Sometimes we get busy and we may miss a proper meal, if that is the case, then, simply help your body out with good supplementation instead of sugar loaded, over caffeinated energy drinks that can wreak havoc on the adrenal glands, liver and kidneys. Good quality supplements are less expensive than energy drinks and far better for you.
7. Gentle washing twice daily and after exercise
- Avoid vigorous scrubbing of the facial skin, instead use small gentle overlapping circular motions
8. Minimal use (if any) of chemical-free non-clogging makeup
- If used, it must be washed off before bed
9. Relaxation techniques
- Reduction of stress is important to prevent increased levels of hormones and adrenaline which can cause sebaceous glands to produce more oils, leading to more clogged pores.
- Examples: meditation, breathing exercises, yoga, even listening to relaxing music. Do this daily.
10. Topical skin cleansing/moisturizing routine with products designed for acne treatment
- For example, the Blemish Bundle from Living Libations, which includes the powerful Zippity DewDab and the Seabuckthorn Best Skin Ever, receives the NPBC Top Pick. The bestselling Seabuckthorn Best Skin Ever is an incredible cleanser, exfoliant and moisturizer all in one! It is a great product and great value! Spread one drop over wet face and then cleanse gently in small circular motions with a damp face cloth. Rinse or not-it is optional and then use one drop to moisturize. (I personally apply one drop as a moisturizer to my still damp skin and the dampness helps to distribute it evenly over my face and neck.) The Zippity DewDab is a mighty blemish healing spot treatment, and together these two potent botanical creations can help bring healing and balance back to scarred and blemished skin.
Alternatively, see Juice Beauty’s Blemish Clearing product line including their award winning (Allure Magazine – Editors Pick) Green Apple Blemish Clearing Peel. For more information, enjoy the video in the sidebar.
Note: It is importance that the cleansing regimen includes a moisturizer because dry skin tells your body to produce more oils, which is then likely to cause more clogged pores, worsening the acne.
Ideally, you will want to avoid cleansing products, which contain antibiotics. Antibiotics are not a good long-term solution.
Avoid alcohol based blemish products, as they are harsh and strip your skin of all oil, both good and bad. In addition, while alcohol is very drying and has no skin healing properties, good quality botanical based products do.
11. Participate in daily exercise
- This increases blood circulation and brings more oxygen to the skin surface. Remember to wash your face after exercise so that the sweat does not contribute to clogged pores.
12. Finally, if the acne is severe and long term, seek the care of a certified health professional. This could mean a naturopathic doctor, a practitioner of Chinese medicine, a homeopathic doctor or other holistic practitioner.
You may prefer the care of a medical doctor (MD). In this case, you want to be aware that their recommended treatment may include antibiotics internally and/or topically.
A good naturopathic doctor will make a thorough evaluation, including an assessment of liver function, bowel toxification, possible leaky gut syndrome, allergies, endocrine system function, thyroid or adrenal disorders and other potential causative and/or contributing factors.
- The primary goal will be to treat the problem internally and depending upon the individual, the treatment protocols may include a few different measures, for instance, dietary recommendations and vitamin supplementation for specific time periods and dosages. Always, follow up with your health care provider, so that the treatment can be adjusted as required based upon progress toward healing.
These final thoughts are with regard to acne and the mind/body connection. I offer them with respectful acknowledgement to author, Louise L. Hay, as I have paraphrased from her bestselling book, Heal Your Body.
- Accept, and Like Yourself.
Each time you look into the mirror, feel genuine love and acceptance for yourself.
Whether you are experiencing an acne flare up or not, love and accept yourself where you are right now.
…Because You Are Splendid!
The information provided within this site is for informational purposes
only; and is not intended as a substitute for advice from a physician or other healthcare professional